Forty-seven kids. Here's what I've learned:
- Even at their young age, they can judge you the second you walk in the door. They know who's "real" and who's not. For some reason they thought I was cool. Suckered them in on that one...
- When they embrace something, there is no letting go. Every single kid is volunteering their time. It's extra-curricular, after school, no credit. Just for fun. That says a LOT about who these kids are.
- It says even more about their parents. My wife and I do not have children and I can't pretend to know how hectic it is for parents to shuttle kids from place to place to place to place. I applaud these parents for embracing this experience for their sons and daughters and investing themselves in the experience along with their children. It is a memory that neither will soon forget.
- For the last nine school days we have been rehearsing at the high school auditorium. I don't care who you are. EVERYONE loves to be on a stage!
- Having their own microphone has to be the best thing since Nintendo DS.
- For the past thirty-some years, Hamilton Heights School Corporation and the Elementary School has supported and produced a fifth grade musical. Hats off to them and Mr. Perkins who established such a great tradition. Mrs. King and Mrs. Carley are doing a fabulous job directing this year!
- Lastly, the fifth graders have taught me the joy we receive when we embrace something new and creative. When the kids arrive at the high school and get off their bus, they all RUN to the front of the auditorium, eager to engage and perform. Directing them from the pit, I can see sincere joy emanating from every eye and facial expression. The kids "get it."
I know they've changed mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment