One of the great things about taking photos, in my opinion, is formulating a story based on the photo taken. In any given scene, particularly in environmental landscape shots, I let my imagination run wild in placing context (real or imagined) into the scene that I have just invited myself into.
Take this photo for example:
This shot was taken last fall (2011) when Lisa and I traveled to Florida to visit her family as well as celebrate our ten-year anniversary. We stayed at a hotel on the Atlantic Ocean in Cocoa Beach which provided us a great opportunity to stretch our legs on the beach in the morning hours.
One morning as I came upon this scene, I recognized it as someone attempting to catch fish. (Yeah, duh, the fishing poles gave that one away!). But what intrigued me was the empty white tube in the center. Where WAS that fishing pole? As there was no one in sight, two potential scenarios were going through my mind: 1) the fishermen was back at his vehicle fetching the third fishing pole; or 2) a large aquatic predator took the bait from that middle pole, the fisherdude ran to grab the pole to reel in his prize catch, the fish decided enough was enough and the fishermen was dragged out to sea. Swimmin' with the fishees.
My common sense told me to believe the first scenario. My creative imagination wanted me to believe the second.
Today I am grateful for our God who created us to be imaginative...not afraid to let our minds wander a little every now and then. I'm also grateful to our God for giving us opportunities to take walks on sandy beaches, observing the beauty of creation around us. His handiwork, for his glory.
Even if the fish won.

No comments:
Post a Comment