Saturday, December 19, 2009

You Call This a Snow Storm????!

Today was a great day to be outside.  With just a little bit of snow on the ground, I thought it would be a good idea to go for a little photo walk.  But after some time at work this morning as well as Christmas shopping, the snow had begun to melt off of the tree branches by the time I arrived at the park.  Oh well, I was looking forward to a little exercise.

I found myself being drawn to the few animals I saw along my walk.  I don’t typically have an interest in shooting animals (with a camera, not a gun!) but it was something new to try.

I was walking pretty briskly, trying to keep my body temperature up, when I was startled to see a squirrel about fifteen feet away from me.  It was just sitting on the branch doing whatever squirrels do when it’s snowing outside.

DSC_0129

I really haven’t been motivated about photographing birds.  For one, I’m drawn to fixed landscapes.  Second, they move too much.  Third, I have no patience.  For some reason, I had a lot of patience today.  It was so peaceful being outside in the snowflakes that I couldn’t help but marvel at these small creatures and why in the world they were out and about.  (Don’t they go south or something for the winter???)

Oh well, here’s my feeble attempt to capture a bird on camera.  I have no idea what it is – it’s red.  Point for me.  The bird is out of focus and the shutter speed was too slow (you can see ‘streaks’ that are actually snow flakes).

DSC_0126

Here’s the weird thing.  After spending ten minutes or so just being still, trying to get a good shot of The Thing That Flies, I started hearing all kinds of bird sounds, seeing birds fly around everywhere – like my senses were being sucked into their world.  (insert sucking sound here).

Next time I go out there, I’ll bring my big boy zoom lense.  Maybe I’ll be able to better capture those critters.

1 comment:

  1. there's a whole other world flying around us, and most people don't take the time to hear it or acknowledge it.

    So glad to "hear" that you're hearing what I hear everytime I step outside!

    The Birder Nerd

    ReplyDelete